Tips and Best Practices for Storing Your Vehicle
With Prestige Storage
We love our cars in America. It’s ingrained in our way of life. When we are cruising in our ride, sometimes we need a place to store our beloved car, RV, or other vehicle. Prestige Storage facilities provide the perfect automobile storage solutions. We offer covered units as well as outdoor parking in a range of sizes to accommodate almost any vehicle. All our locations are conveniently located next to major roadways, gas stations, and auto parts stores. Before storing your vehicle, we have a few tips for a smooth storage experience.
Storing Your Vehicle Indoors
Prestige Storage offers covered units that are perfect for safely storing prized cars, motorcycles, Jet Skis, or other smaller vehicles. Storing your vehicle indoors protects it from the elements and keeps it in pristine order. Many of our facilities offer convenient roll-up doors and drive-up access.
Storing Your Vehicle Outdoors
Maybe your vehicle is too big to store indoors, or you have a few extra fleet vehicles that need storing during the offseason. Prestige Storage offers outdoor vehicle storage spaces in a wide range of sizes to accommodate a variety of vehicles.
Benefits of Storing Your Vehicle With Prestige Storage
Storing with Prestige Storage comes with peace of mind. All of our facilities are enclosed by perimeter fencing with electronic gated entry, are always well lit, and feature several 24/7 security cameras. Our facilities are conveniently located next to major roadways, gas stations, and auto parts stores. Most of our facilities have on-site managers to answer any questions or resolve any issues you might have.
Preparing Your Vehicle for Long-Term Storage
If you plan to store your car for an extended period of time, there are a few things you’ll want to do to your vehicle to prevent damage.
- Perform any regular maintenance.
- Change the engine oil and filter
- Top off any essential fluids (brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, etc.)
- Inflate tires to recommended pressure
- Fill the fuel tank to its maximum capacity and add a fuel stabilizer
- Prevent flat-spotting. Over time, tires can develop flat spots on the bottoms. We recommend putting your vehicle on jack stands to prevent flat-spotting.
- Disconnect the battery to prevent any corrosion and loss of charge.
- Wash and wax the vehicle’s finish. Cleaning your vehicle’s exterior removes any salt or other contaminants that may ruin the paint. Coating the finish in wax will also provide an extra layer of protection.
- Invest in a cover. A car cover adds yet another layer of protection for your vehicle’s exterior, especially when storing outdoors.
- Clean the interior. Apply conditioner to any vinyl to prevent cracking. Cleaning out the vehicle can prevent odors from developing.
- Close windows and vents and leave convertible tops up. Convertible tops may develop seams and creases when left down for long periods.
- Place a moisture absorber in the vehicle. Mold and fungus can build up in a vehicle over time. Moisture absorbers help ensure a dry environment and mitigate mold and fungus.
- Drive your vehicle every month or two. When possible, routine driving helps keep seals, gaskets, and other rubber parts from deteriorating, especially in hydraulic systems.
Rent or Reserve Your Unit Today
Prestige Storage has facilities throughout the country ready to store that vintage ride, RV, or other vehicle. We’re dedicated to providing the best storage facilities and experience for our customers. Once your vehicle is ready for storage, find a Prestige Storage location near you and rent your unit today.